The development of a teacher’s skills is crucial for keeping up with the times and expanding as an educator. Yet, attending on-site classes may be difficult due to lack of time and funds. Fortunately, there are now many free online professional development for teachers. Using these sources, teachers can enrich their abilities, acquire fresh insights, and potentially raise their students’ academic outcomes.
The flexibility and affordability of online professional development courses are key advantages for teachers seeking to enhance their skills and expand their knowledge. With the ability to learn at their own pace and on their own terms, teachers can fit professional development into their busy lives without sacrificing quality. Whether seeking to advance their careers or gain new insights, online courses provide an accessible and impactful solution for all teachers, regardless of their financial situation.
As an educator, it can be challenging to find quality professional development opportunities that fit within your budget. Thankfully, there are many free online professional development for teachers that cover a range of important teaching topics. These courses can help equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the classroom. From the latest technologies to specialized subjects like science and math, there’s something for every teacher looking to expand their skill set. Don’t miss out on these valuable opportunities to grow as a professional and make a positive impact on your students’ lives.
Professional development opportunities for teachers extend beyond the realm of online coursework. Teachers can partake in a plethora of enriching resources, such as engaging in insightful webinars, attending virtual conferences, and perusing educational blogs and articles. These sources help educational professionals stay abreast of the latest trends and practices in teaching, promoting an environment of continual learning and growth.
Elevating teaching skills and knowledge is pivotal for educators, and professional development leads the way. Tons of free online courses and enriching resources empower teachers to constantly evolve and thrive in their roles, fostering a brighter future for all their students.
This article will give you insight into the fascinating world of free online professional development for teachers:
|1. Blended Language Learning: Design and Practice for Teachers|
|2. Assessment in Higher Education: Professional Development for Teachers|
|3. Learning to teach: mentoring and tutoring student teachers|
|4. Teaching With Technology and Inquiry: An Open Course For Teachers|
|5. Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach|
|6. Professional Development for Early Career Teachers|
|7. Teach like an Entrepreneur: Bringing Entrepreneurship into the Classroom|
|8. Teaching Students Who Have Suffered Complex Trauma|
|9. Coaching in Education: Addressing the Need for Deep Communication|
|10. Teaching in University Science Laboratories (Developing Best Practice)|
|11. Innovative Teaching: Engaging Adult Learners with Active Learning|
|12. Train the Healthcare Trainer|
|13. Introduction to Data Wise: A Collaborative Process to Improve Learning & Teaching|
|14. Queering the Schoolhouse: LGBTQ+ Inclusion for Educators|
|15. Artificial Intelligence (AI) Education for Teachers|
|16. Motivating Gen Z Learners: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know|
|17. Child Protection for Teachers|
|18. Teaching Children with Visual Impairment: Creating Empowering Classrooms|
|19. Mindful Wellbeing for Teachers with Stress and Anxiety|
|20. Know Your Learners: Visualising Learning in Education|
|21. Promoting Democracy in the Classroom: A Practical Guide for Teachers|
|Additional 4 Free Professional Development Hours for Teachers|
1. Blended Language Learning: Design and Practice for Teachers
As a language educator, are you eager to upgrade your teaching abilities? Then look no further than the University of Colorado Boulder’s Blended Language Learning: Design and Practice for Teachers course, which is available online for free via Coursera. This exceptional professional development experience offers you an in-depth exploration of the world of blended learning, covering everything from its evolution and success rate to the process of creating instructional designs and adopting effective teaching strategies.
Duration: The course is 4 weeks long, and it consists of 21 hours worth of material. However, you can complete it at your own pace since it’s a self-paced course.
- This course is suitable for intermediate level language educators, and it offers 1.5 Graduate Teacher Education credits (GRTE) upon completion, which can be used for teacher professional enhancement, including relicensure and school district salary advancement.
- The course is divided into four modules that cover different aspects of blended learning.
- In the first module, you’ll learn about the origins and effectiveness of the blended learning model.
- The second module focuses on course-level considerations, such as how to choose a blended format and how to build a blended course syllabus.
- In the third module, you’ll learn about unit-level considerations, including how to plan a blended unit, how to present content, and how to design blended activities and assessment strategies.
- Finally, in the fourth module, you’ll learn about effective blended teaching strategies.
- By the end of the course, you’ll be able to explain blended learning as a teaching modality and discuss its effectiveness.
- You’ll learn about the main instructional design steps involved in building a blended language course and select tools and technologies to support blended language learning.
- Moreover, you’ll discuss effective blended teaching strategies and be able to put what you’ve learned into practice through an optional peer-reviewed assignment.
With 243 ratings on Coursera, this course has received positive reviews from educators worldwide.
Excellent course. Highly recommended for language instructors who want to learn about Blended teaching . I gained a lot of knowledge about teaching language online. I love that the course addresses issues related to teaching foreign languages . It keep you up to date with technology tools and terminology in the field of language teaching online . Thank you
— Amani H
2. Assessment in Higher Education: Professional Development for Teachers
If you’re passionate about inspiring your students to reach their full potential, then we’ve got something special just for you. Let us introduce you to the Risbo MOOC, co-created by the brilliant minds at Erasmus University Rotterdam. Inside, you’ll learn how to level up your assessment game, from prepping to creating to evaluating.
Duration: The course has a duration of 5 weeks, with 18 hours worth of material.
- Design an assessment that is constructively aligned (content, level, methods) with the course objectives and activities
- Apply quality criteria with respect to validity, reliability, and transparency for construction of assessments and assessment items
- Analyze the assessment output and results, assess the quality of the assessment and make decisions about students’ grades accordingly
- Formulate future improvements for an assessment
- Work with your own teaching materials to create an assessment plan for your course
- Instructional videos, interviews, animations, and checklists provided
- The role of assessment in higher education and insight into some basic but fundamental questions about assessment
- How to select the right methods of assessments for your course
- How to make an assessment plan to select the right testing methods and decide on the relative weight of each assessment for the final result of a course
- How to ensure that the assessment addresses the intended learning outcomes and provides a good overview of the test arrangement for a course that will be published in the course manual
- How to develop questions and assignments that exactly match your learning objectives and avoid the risk of formulating too many questions that are aimed at the same content or skill
- Why feedback is so important and how to provide feedback using rubrics
- Different types of rubrics and their advantages and disadvantages
- What aspects to look out for when performing an exam or item analysis
- How to draw conclusions from an exam analysis and make plans for future improvements
With 317 ratings on Coursera, this course has proven to be a valuable resource for teachers in higher education.
A course which perhaps all teachers in higher education should go through! some wonderful insights into designing MCQ & essay questions, analysing exam scores to understand what they mean – and how successful one was in achieving stated goals.
— Paritosh D
3. Learning to teach: mentoring and tutoring student teachers
Looking for free online professional development for teachers? Look no further than this specialized course designed for educators who want to support student teachers. Whether you’re serving as a mentor or tutoring from a university, this program will give you the expertise needed to excel in both roles. Gain valuable insights into the unique relationships between mentors, tutors, and student teachers, and become a more effective and inspiring educator today!
Duration: This course has a duration of 5 hours worth of material, which can be completed at your own pace.
- Free online course offered by The Open University via OpenLearn
- Suitable for teachers looking to improve their mentoring and tutoring skills in supporting student teachers
- Covers a range of topics including mentoring relationships, balancing support and challenge, pastoral support, collaborative planning and teaching, pedagogy for tutoring, and more
- On-demand learning, which means you can complete the course at your own pace and time
- Advanced level course with a certificate available upon completion.
- The differences between mentoring and tutoring in supporting student teachers
- Strategies for building effective mentoring relationships with student teachers
- How to balance support and challenge in mentoring and tutoring student teachers
- Techniques for providing effective pastoral support to student teachers
- Collaborative planning and teaching skills for mentoring and tutoring student teachers
- Pedagogy for tutoring student teachers, including dialectical relationships and zone of proximal development (ZPD).
According to the reviews on the OpenLearn Help website, this course has received two positive reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars
Excellent short course. About to start mentoring a 2nd placement student and wanted to assure myself that what I ‘thought’ was the role of a mentor was indeed correct.
Course assured me that I was thinking along the right lines but it also made me reflect upon my own 30 years in the teaching game and be honest about my strengths, weaknesses and preconceptions.
— Hilary Kerr
4. Teaching With Technology and Inquiry: An Open Course For Teachers
The University of Toronto has an exciting course on edX called Teaching With Technology and Inquiry, tailored for educators who want to ignite their teaching with cutting-edge technological advancements. The course is a six-week program with a focus on major themes and challenges around integrating inquiry and technology as a community of practitioners. It is ideal for K-12 teachers, higher education instructors, and any educator seeking to incorporate technology in their teaching style. Get ready to broaden your repertoire and engage your students in a fresh and innovative way with Teaching With Technology and Inquiry.
Duration: The course is six weeks long and requires 3-5 hours of commitment per week. However, participants can complete the course at their own pace since it’s self-paced.
- Engaging with a community of practitioners to share resources and ideas
- Learning how to design technology-integrated inquiry-based science lessons
- Understanding the opportunities and challenges in designing technology integration in teaching and learning
- Exploring how to design collaborative learning activities and assessments
- Reviewing various forms of handheld devices and examining where they can be integrated into lesson design and implementation
- Understanding the factors involved in promoting student-contributed knowledge
- Discussing challenges of classroom management and student engagement in technology-enhanced/integrated learning and examining strategies to overcome such challenges
- The importance of student-centered pedagogy and how to integrate inquiry into teaching and learning
- Strategies to design technology-integrated inquiry-based science lessons
- How to design collaborative learning activities and assessments
- Various forms of handheld devices and where they can be integrated into lesson design and implementation
- How to promote student-contributed knowledge
- Strategies to overcome challenges of classroom management and student engagement in technology-enhanced/integrated learning
This course has received positive feedback from its participants.
Nice, informative. I would like to thank the team for such an innovative course design & selection of topics is amazing.
— Nishant Tyagi
5. Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task Based Approach
Are you an English as Second or Foreign Language (ESL/EFL) teacher looking to enhance your teaching skills? Check out “Teaching EFL/ESL Reading: A Task-Based Approach,” offered by the prestigious University of London International Programmes and UCL Institute of Education via Coursera! In this course, you will learn innovative ways to teach reading skills using engaging task-based activities.
Duration: This course is 6 weeks long, with 23 hours worth of material.
- In this course, you will be introduced to the concept of task-based language teaching (TBLT) and learning. TBLT uses communicative tasks as the key unit for creating language learning activities.
- You will also examine the role of reading in real-life and in second and foreign language teaching and current thinking about the interface between TBLT and second language reading.
- By the end of the course, you will be able to explain the main components and tenets of a task-based approach to teaching language.
- You will be able to explain the main issues involved in teaching reading and illustrate connections between TBLT approaches and the teaching of reading.
- You will learn how to integrate tasks into your own teaching, identify reading texts that are suitable for the construction of tasks, and construct reading tasks and sequences for use in your own classroom.
With 473 ratings on Coursera, this course has received positive feedback from its users.
The course has refreshed me on how to do Task based teaching in my classroom. The professors and guest speakers are all very helpful in giving new ideas for lesson plan. I really enjoy the lesson.
— Ruth Y
6. Professional Development for Early Career Teachers
The University of East Anglia has got you covered with their Professional Development for Early Career Teachers course on FutureLearn. This online course will give you the free online professional development for teachers and guidance you need to take your teaching to the next level and become a confident and successful educator. Join the community of early career teachers who are taking the first step towards a successful career in education!
Duration: This course is 5 weeks long, with an estimated study time of 3 hours per week. It’s a self-paced course, which means you can work through the material at your own speed and on your own schedule.
- This free online course is designed to help teachers starting out in their careers to manage their workload and improve their teaching practice.
- Through the course, you’ll learn how to identify your professional development needs, reflect on your teaching practice, and explore behavior management strategies, pedagogical approaches to teaching and learning, ways to prioritize your workload, and more.
- Reflective practice and identifying strengths
- Managing workload and prioritizing tasks
- Behavior management strategies
- Pedagogical approaches to teaching and learning
- Assessment practices and approaches to assessment
- High challenge, low threat strategies to support learning
- Coaching and mentoring techniques
The Professional Development for Early Career Teachers course has received 64 ratings on FutureLearn.
Professional Development for Early careers teacher. A very interesting & helpful course, with excellent resources and suggested further reading references & websites.
— Gabrielle D
7. Teach like an Entrepreneur: Bringing Entrepreneurship into the Classroom
If you’re a teacher who wants to give your students a taste of what it’s like to be an entrepreneur, the Teach like an Entrepreneur: Bringing Entrepreneurship into the Classroom course is a fantastic choice. Run by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) on the FutureLearn platform, this course will help you learn about a variety of entrepreneurial approaches, link entrepreneurial skills with STEM education, and inspire your students to think and act as entrepreneurs in their own right.
Duration: The course is 4 weeks long, and it requires approximately 4 hours of study per week.
- Learn about different types of entrepreneurship
- Discover the value of entrepreneurial competences for individuals and society
- Understand the importance of entrepreneurial learning in creating empowering educational environments
- Develop a shared definition of entrepreneurship
- Discover new methods and approaches for teaching creativity and entrepreneurship in the classroom
- How to distinguish between different types of entrepreneurship
- How to align entrepreneurial competencies with subject-specific learning in STEM
- How to embed entrepreneurial activities in your teaching through experiential learning techniques and challenge-based resources
- How to encourage entrepreneurial mindsets and skill sets in your students
- How to evaluate and celebrate success and reflect on opportunities for collaboration and learning beyond the classroom
The Teach like an Entrepreneur: Bringing Entrepreneurship into the Classroom course has received positive reviews from its users, with a rating of 4.9 out of 5 on FutureLearn.
Teach like an Entrepreneur course was simply any amazing learning journey.
The content of the course was rich and I like the fact there was available many supportive material to complement the studies!
It definitely exceeded my expectation!
— Ascídia L
8. Teaching Students Who Have Suffered Complex Trauma
Are you ready to make a difference in the lives of students who have experienced complex trauma? FutureLearn is offering a course through Queensland University of Technology that will equip you with the tools to address the impact of trauma on young people’s educational journey. Discover the science behind the behaviors of traumatized students and gain a comprehensive understanding of trauma-informed strategies and policies that will benefit both students and school staff. Whether you’re a teacher or educational support professional, this course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to positively impact the lives of students in your care.
Duration: The course is 2 weeks long, and it requires approximately 1 hour of study per week
- Introduction to complex trauma and its impact on young people’s development at school.
- Understanding the neuroscience behind the behaviors presented by students who have experienced complex trauma.
- Learning how to apply trauma-informed strategies and policies that will minimize the risk to students and school staff.
- Understanding of what complex trauma is and how it affects young people’s development at school.
- Knowledge of neuroscience behind the behaviors presented by students who have experienced complex trauma.
- How to apply trauma-informed strategies and policies that will minimize the risk to students and school staff.
This course has been rated by 542 users at FutureLearn and has received an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
It’s very helpful to learn about the brain and hormones and how physiological states affect behaviour. It’s also extremely useful to learn about responses to negative behaviour that are informed by neuroscience.
— Jeanette M
9. Coaching in Education: Addressing the Need for Deep Communication
As an educator, the power of communication can never be overlooked. If you’re hoping to level up your communication game and maintain strong bonds with students and colleagues alike, have you heard about the free online course Coaching in Education: Addressing the Need for Deep Communication? Norwegian University of Science and Technology via FutureLearn offers this professional development opportunity to help you hone your communication skills like never before. Give it a shot and unlock the full potential of your classroom!
Duration: This course is 4 weeks long and requires a commitment of 3 hours per week. It is a self-paced course designed for intermediate learners.
- This course provides an introduction to coaching as an approach to personal learning and development.
- You will learn about the core competencies of professional coaching, such as listening and questioning skills, and how to apply them in an educational context.
- The course draws on positive psychology and neuroscience to help you understand how to motivate and support others in reaching their goals.
- The importance of deep communication in education
- How to develop your listening and awareness skills
- The principles of coaching and the core competencies of a professional coach
- The GROW model for coaching and how to apply it in practice
- How to develop your coaching skills and become a more effective colleague and mentor.
Coaching in Education: Addressing the Need for Deep Communication has received positive reviews from its users. It has an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 based on 117 ratings on FutureLearn.
This course was perfect for me as a total beginner when it comes to coaching as it introduced me to concepts such as active listening, questioning, and clean language. The articles and videos were very helpful, and there is a wealth of additional material for further reading or viewing. I also learnt a lot from other participants’ comments in the Read more about review stating Perfect for beginnersDiscussion section.
— Elborg N
10. Teaching in University Science Laboratories (Developing Best Practice)
Looking for free online professional development for teachers for lab activities? Look no further than “Teaching in University Science Laboratories (Developing Best Practice),” one of the top courses available. Developed by the University of Amsterdam through Coursera, this program is designed to help educators enhance their teaching skills and make their laboratory classes more effective for higher education. With a focus on active learning techniques, this course is sure to get you and your students excited about science in a whole new way.
Duration: The course is 7 weeks long and consists of 14 hours worth of material. The course is delivered online and is self-paced, so participants can learn at their own pace.
- The course is designed to support teachers to improve their teaching skills for active learning in university science laboratory courses.
- It will show you how laboratory sessions can differ with respect to their aim and expected learning outcomes, how to engage students for learning, and how to cope with their different levels of pre-knowledge and experience and probe their understanding.
- Last but not least, it will show how you could assess students in laboratory courses.
- Different types of laboratory sessions and strategies to improve student engagement in lab sessions
- Qualities needed to be a good laboratory teacher
- Learning theories that can be applied to ensure effective teaching of laboratory work
- Different strategies to support learning by questioning and how to prevent information overload
- Assessment and feedback techniques using rubrics and constructive alignment of learning outcomes, teaching and learning activities, and assessment
The course has a rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars and has received positive feedback from 95 participants.
Very well prepared and complex course. I learn a lot about laboratory teaching in many context. I really appreciate discussion, because a I like the idea of exchanging opinion between patricipants of course. Course has huge content and sometimes time predicted for activity was too short. Nevertheless, materials are very interesting and important so it was worth to spend more time.
— Klaudia A
11. Innovative Teaching: Engaging Adult Learners with Active Learning
As an educator, you’re always searching for ways to improve and excel in your field. Fortunately, you don’t have to break the bank to upskill and enhance your teaching practice with this free online professional development for teachers. There are a plethora of free online professional development courses available that can catapult your career to new heights. Explore these 21 online courses designed specifically for teachers, with a special emphasis on the highly coveted “Innovative Teaching: Engaging Adult Learners with Active Learning” course. Elevate your teaching game and inspire a generation of future leaders with these invaluable resources.
Duration: The course is 4 weeks long and consists of 3 hours worth of material.
- Develop a deep understanding of active learning and its importance in the classroom.
- Learn how to promote learning by engaging learners interactively, encouraging teamwork and collaboration among students.
- Explore new trends in teaching and learning and engage in a critically reflective practice.
- Design innovative courses and lesson plans that incorporate active learning.
- Use feedback and assessment to enhance the learning experience.
- Develop an awareness about teaching and learning.
- Foster active learning in the classroom.
- Plan and deliver interactive lectures.
- Design innovative courses and lesson plans.
- Use feedback and assessment to enhance the learning experience.
With 27 ratings at FutureLearn, this course has received positive reviews from participants.
I really enjoyed this engaging course on Active Learning. The content, designed in a clear and logic way, was interesting and useful, conveyed through brief articles and videos. The activities were great: not just quizzes and tests, but also reflecting tasks such as case studies and simulations using various tools. Moreover, there was the opportunRead more about review stating Enriching Courseity to share ideas and discuss with others learners. It was a very enriching experience, better than expected!
— Sofia B
12. Train the Healthcare Trainer
Are you a educator seeking for free online professional development for teachers? Fantastic news! The internet is filled with free courses just waiting for you to take them. One such gem is Train the Healthcare Trainer. This article is your guide to everything you need to know about this course – how long it runs, what sets it apart from other courses, what you’ll gain from it, and what other education professionals have to say about it.
Duration: The course is 5 weeks long and consists of 5 hours worth of material.
- This informative course is ideal for individuals who are new to training or existing trainers who wish to update their skills.
- It offers evidence-based methods and techniques that participants can use to ensure learning genuinely takes place and is transferred to practice.
- The course content includes a diverse toolkit of proven techniques, each of which is modelled as the course progresses.
- Evidence-based training techniques
- How to improve planning, design, and delivery skills
- Guidance on teaching techniques, assessment, and motivation of learners
- Practical advice on dealing with nerves and unexpected challenges when training
- How to set your training firmly in the context of causing learning to happen
- How to incorporate training techniques to ensure that learning lasts
The course has received 157 ratings at FutureLearn, indicating that it is highly rated by its users.
I have learnt a lot from the course and feel that I am now much more up to date with current research on training and learning. There are a lot tips and techniques that I will incorporate into my training sessions. The course has developed and improved my skills as a mentor, trainer and assessor.
— Victoria W
13. Introduction to Data Wise: A Collaborative Process to Improve Learning & Teaching
As an educator, you’re always searching for free online professional development for teachers to enhance your teaching methodology and take things up a notch. You might be delighted to know that numerous free online professional development courses can support you in your journey. Here, we highlight an outstanding course – Introduction to Data Wise: A Collaborative Process to Improve Learning & Teaching. The course helps teachers make sense of data and incorporate it into an efficient collaborative process that enhances learning and teaching outcomes.
Duration: The course is self-paced and lasts for 10 weeks. Participants are expected to spend 1-2 hours a week on the course.
- Free online course offered by Harvard University via edX Help.
- Provides educators with a clear, 8-step process for using a wide range of data sources to improve instruction.
- Based on the book Data Wise: A Step-by-Step Guide to Using Assessment Results to Improve Teaching and Learning.
- Teaches educators how to make data less overwhelming, more useful, and part of an effective collaborative process.
- How to use a wide range of data sources to improve instruction.
- How to make data less overwhelming and more useful.
- How to use data as part of an effective collaborative process.
- How to work with colleagues to improve instruction.
- How to share insights and experiences about school improvement with educators from around the world.
According to user reviews, the course is valuable for both teachers and school and district leaders, as well as policymakers and educational entrepreneurs who are dedicated to improving outcomes for students.
14. Queering the Schoolhouse: LGBTQ+ Inclusion for Educators
Welcome to an eye-opening course that delves into the history and challenges facing the LGBTQ+ community in education. Get ready to discover innovative techniques and strategies to foster a more inclusive learning environment for students, teachers, and community members. Designed for educators at all levels, this course will equip you with the tools to make a meaningful and positive impact in your professional context, regardless of your prior knowledge.
Duration: This course is 6 weeks long and worth 12 hours of material.
- Learn about the history of LGBTQ+ issues in education
- Develop strategies for building more inclusive learning environments
- Gain insights and techniques for enhancing LGBTQ+ inclusion
- Explore issues related to LGBTQ+ inclusion in your classrooms
- Insights into the history of LGBTQ+ issues in education
- Strategies for building more inclusive learning environments for students, teachers, and community members
- Techniques for enhancing LGBTQ+ inclusion
- Ways to explore issues related to LGBTQ+ inclusion in your specific professional context
This course has received 134 ratings on Coursera. Many users have found the course to be informative, insightful, and practical.
This was an excellent course!
I had thought initially that this was going to be a dry recital of all the issues facing LGBTQ+ issues in education, and I was taking it as a general refresher without much expectation. But I was pleasantly surprised by the content that was covered in this lesson. There was a lot more analysis and structure discussed in these lessons than I had anticipated, and I feel like I am leaving this course with a much richer language that I can use to discuss these concepts on an academic level, and communicate with other educators on this topic.
Thank you everyone who put this work together! It has been a real eye-opening experience.
— Zac C
15. Artificial Intelligence (AI) Education for Teachers
Teachers, are you looking to enhance your knowledge and skills in the exciting world of artificial intelligence? Macquarie University has the perfect program for you! The “Artificial Intelligence (AI) Education for Teachers” course is tailored to meet your unique needs and goals. Led by experienced educators, this program will help dissolve any misconceptions you may have about AI and guide you in seamlessly integrating it into your teaching practice. From science to social studies, AI has the potential to elevate your curriculum, and this course will equip you with the tools and understanding to make it happen. Join us and take your teaching to the next level!
Duration: This 6-week course is entirely online and consists of 16 hours worth of material.
- The course is unique in that it is designed specifically for teachers and will teach them how to embed AI into their teaching practice and their students’ learning.
- The course is aligned with AITSL ‘Proficient Level’ Australian Professional Standards at AQF Level 8.
- Additionally, teachers will have a unique opportunity to implement a Capstone Project for students alongside this professional learning course.
- The course will cover a wide range of topics, starting from the basics such as what AI is, its history, and how it has evolved over the last 70 years to show promise in so many different applications.
- You’ll also learn about design thinking, critical and creative thinking, data fluency, and computational thinking, as well as ethical decision-making and bias awareness.
This course has been rated by 218 students with an average of 4.8 stars out of 5 on Coursera.
I had an almost 0 knowledge of AI when I started this course. What a great time I had learning. I wrote my first machine training program. I was delighted and so proud of myself even though it is on the level of a primary student. Algorithms were a scary topic but I can confidently say that it is no longer alien. I love the links to articles and YouTube videos. An excellent example of an inter-active online course. Thank you.
— Bonita C
16. Motivating Gen Z Learners: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know
As educators, we all know that motivating and inspiring our students is crucial to their success. But with a new generation of learners emerging, it can be challenging to keep up with their unique needs and perspectives. Fortunately, there’s a free online course available that can help you overcome this hurdle. Developed by Nanyang Technological University and hosted on Coursera, “Motivating Gen Z Learners: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know” offers a wealth of knowledge and strategies that can elevate your teaching game.
Duration: This course is four weeks long and requires approximately 8-9 hours of study time
- The course is designed to equip parents and educators with the knowledge of motivational theories and their application in real-life contexts.
- The course presents a storyline of two children, Bob and Sarah, and provides participants with a variety of problem scenarios.
- These scenarios depict common motivational issues that the participants can resolve using the motivational principles described in the course.
- Through the various sessions, parents and educators will progressively build a repertoire of strategies that enable them to better understand Gen Z learners and enhance their motivation to learn.
- Additionally, the course participants will have the opportunity to check their understanding through quizzes and interact with one another through discussion forums.
- By the end of the course, participants will be able to determine the source(s) of a child’s motivation, use appropriate external motivators judiciously, and identify and assist in satisfying the needs of their students or children.
- Participants will also learn about needs-based theories of motivation, mindsets and causal attributions for success and failure, and self-regulated learning.
With 228 ratings on Coursera, this course has an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
I highly recommend this course to parents, educators and any body who wishes to know how motivation works. This course course provides a great head start on understanding motivation from various approaches: behaviorist, humanistic, cognitive & socio-cognitive and socio-cultural. Some parts of the course I have learned before but what really puts the learning in perspective is the clear examples provided in this short course. After showing examples, the strategies for application is suggested and it really is going to help me a lot in the upcoming academic year.
— Noodleq C
17. Child Protection for Teachers
Empower yourself with the knowledge and skills to be a strong line of defense against child abuse and neglect. The “Child Protection for Teachers” course provides you with the tools and insights to identify key warning signs and indicators of harm, ensuring that you are equipped to act swiftly and effectively. With the ability to recognize the signs of abuse, you play a pivotal role in protecting vulnerable children and supporting their well-being. This course is essential for all teachers, whether you are required to report abuse or not.
Duration: This course is 2 weeks long and requires 2 hours of study per week. However, you can complete it at your own pace since it’s a self-paced course.
- The course covers a range of topics related to child protection, including recognizing the signs of child abuse and neglect, understanding the impact of maltreatment on children’s learning and development, and learning how to report suspected abuse.
- In addition to providing valuable information on child protection, this course is designed to help teachers improve their professional practice.
- For Australian school educators, it aligns with several Australian Professional Standards for Teachers (APST), including maintaining a safe and supportive learning environment, engaging in professional learning, and complying with legislative requirements.
- Throughout this course, you will learn how to recognize the signs of child abuse and neglect, understand how maltreatment impacts children’s learning and development, and learn how to report suspected abuse.
- Additionally, you will gain a deeper understanding of your role as a teacher in child protection.
The course has received positive feedback from users, with 190 ratings on FutureLearn.
It was amazing and I feel most adults those are taking care of children should join this course to be able to help children who are experiencing CAN by reporting to the concerned family members organizations.
— Desderia K
18. Teaching Children with Visual Impairment: Creating Empowering Classrooms
Are you passionate about creating an inclusive learning environment for visually impaired students? Look no further than this free online course. In it, you’ll explore various eye conditions that affect learning and behavior, and learn strategies to create an inclusive classroom space. Not only that, but you’ll also delve into the Expanded Core Curriculum (ECC), a revolutionary concept that equips educators with the tools to integrate visually-impaired learners into the core curriculum. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to make a positive impact on your students’ lives.
Duration: The course is 4 weeks long, with 14 hours of material that can be completed at your own pace.
- Understanding the different eye conditions that affect learning and behavior.
- Learning how to create an inclusive classroom environment.
- Understanding the Expanded Core Curriculum and its importance.
- Learning about assistive technology devices or programs for each individual child with visual impairment.
- Tending to psycho-social issues of visually impaired children by listening to them.
- The visually impaired child and the different educational settings in which they may find themselves.
- Creating an empowering classroom by learning how to create an inclusive space.
- The Expanded Core Curriculum (ECC) and how it provides access to incidental knowledge that sighted learners gain through observation.
- Differentiating the curriculum for children with visual impairment.
- Identifying suitable learning and teaching support material, assessment adaptations, and assistive technology devices or programs for each individual child with visual impairment.
- Understanding the importance of tending to psycho-social issues of visually impaired children by listening to them.
The course has received 132 ratings on Coursera. The course is rated highly, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
I thoroughly enjoyed this course. As a South African teacher working with visually impaired learners, I found it very relevant; insightful and interesting. I think that this would be useful for all teachers working in inclusive schools to do. I look forward to applying what I have learnt and effecting positive change in the education of visually impaired children.
— Robyn F C
19. Mindful Wellbeing for Teachers with Stress and Anxiety
As an educator, managing stress and anxiety can feel overwhelming, but there’s hope with this free online professional development for teachers! Join the University of Aberdeen’s course on FutureLearn to learn practical mindfulness techniques. Over four weeks, you’ll get tools to help conquer symptoms of stress and anxiety, and find a renewed sense of calmness in your teaching practice.
Duration: The course is 4 weeks long, and you can expect to spend around 4 hours a week on it.
- Learn practical techniques to reduce the impact of stress and anxiety in the education profession.
- Discover the scientific principles of mindfulness for teachers and how it affects the brain and nervous system.
- Examine compassionate practices and mindful self-care.
- Improve your reflective practice and reduce anxiety.
- Designed for educators working in all settings and at all levels who recognize the impact of stress and anxiety in the workplace.
- The basics of mindfulness and how to practice it.
- Techniques to manage stress and anxiety symptoms in the education profession.
- How neuroscientists, cognitive scientists, and phenomenologists are exploring the effects of mindfulness on the brain and nervous system.
- The value of self-care and how to apply sustainable applications of mindfulness in the classroom and beyond.
- The importance of reflective journaling and how to enhance your understanding of what induces stress and anxiety in your personal context.
With 374 enrolled on this course, many users have found the course to be informative, insightful, and practical.
20. Know Your Learners: Visualising Learning in Education
As an educator, honing your skills and staying on top of the latest advancements in education is vital. Expanding your knowledge base and refining your techniques is now easier than ever- with a wealth of online professional development courses tailored for teachers. And one standout course you should definitely take notice of is the “Know Your Learners: Visualising Learning in Education” course, offered by the esteemed University of Malaya via FutureLearn. In this enlightening program, you’ll delve into the essentials of learning design and the critical importance of catering to the unique learning styles of each student, using a kaleidoscope of innovative perspectives to help you along the way.
Duration: The course is 2 weeks long and requires 2 hours of study per week. It is self-paced, which means you can take as long as you need to complete it.
- Learn about four major theories of cognition, including work by Piaget, Vygotsky, and Atkinson and Shiffrin
- Investigate how learning experiences differ from Generation X to Generation Alpha
- Identify how technology has impacted learning environments
- Design activities tailored to your learners
- Gain an overview of the main learning theories and an awareness of how to engage the learning brain
- By the end of the course, you’ll have gained a better understanding of how people learn and interpret information differently.
- You’ll also learn how approaches to education impact individuals’ learning and how to design activities that are tailored to your learners.
- Additionally, you’ll gain insight into how technology can be harnessed to enhance learning experiences.
This course has received a 4.7 rating out of 5 from on FutureLearn.
21. Promoting Democracy in the Classroom: A Practical Guide for Teachers
For teachers seeking ways to empower their students and cultivate democratic principles in the classroom, there are numerous free online courses available to support your professional development. One such course focuses on enhancing your skills in democratic education, providing strategies and tools for infusing your teaching practice with democratic values that will positively impact your students and prepare them for active citizenship. By enrolling in this course, you’ll gain insights into the meaning of democratic education and learn practical techniques for implementing it in your daily teaching.
Duration: 3 weeks long, 4 hours a week
- Learn how to educate your pupils in the values of democracy and how to put it into practice in your classroom
- Gain access to key resources and practical ideas to promote democracy through your teaching practice
- Identify real-world teaching and assessment methods that can facilitate the promotion of democracy within your classrooms
- Understand the differences and key debates around the “education for democracy” and “education through democracy” approaches
- The fundamentals of a democratic culture and how to transfer democratic values and model attitudes for your learners
- Ideas and policies that relate to a culture of democracy
- Practical ways to promote democracy in education
This course has received 5 star ratings at FutureLearn.
This course was incredibly helpful for me and I definitely recommend every teacher to join! Not only is the theoretical information provided but it also offers practical guides and tools required in teaching today.
— Lily N
Additional 4 Free Professional Development Hours for Teachers
Expanding on our list of free online professional development courses for educators, we’ve discovered four additional options that offer valuable opportunities for teachers to gain further expertise and earn free professional development hours for teacher at no cost.
- World Class Maths: Asian Teaching Practice — Discover the secrets to world-class mathematics teaching and take your lessons to the next level. Learn from the superior techniques and methods used in Asian countries, and gain valuable insight into how you can implement these strategies into your own classroom. Join the four-week course presented by Macmillan Education and the University of Southampton, and master the key features of Asian mathematics teaching. Elevate your teaching game and become a math superstar!
- Minecraft: Education Edition: Teacher Academy — In Minecraft Education, you can level up your teaching skills with the Teacher Academy. The Academy features three modules that cater to those just starting out, intermediate users, and advanced educators. Upon completion of the training path, you’ll earn the coveted Minecraft Certified Teacher badge and join a community of like-minded professionals. Ready to embark on your learning journey? Let’s dig in!
- How to Make More Money Teaching English — Unleash the power of your skills as a private English teacher by discovering the secrets to charging higher rates and providing exceptional value to your students. This comprehensive guide will equip you with expert knowledge and practical tips to help you stand out from the crowd and increase your salary. Say goodbye to undercharging and hello to a fulfilling, profitable career.
- Dialogues with a Little Thinker — Discover the art of sparking young minds by discussing the mysteries of reality. This course teaches you how to ask thought-provoking, metaphysical questions that will leave children pondering long after the conversation is over. Learn to glean insights from their answers and foster critical thinking skills through engaging dialogue.
How to Choose Your Free Online Courses For Teachers Professional Development
Enhance your teaching skills by investing in professional development. Keeping up to date with current trends and advancements is crucial to providing the best education possible for your students. With endless online course options available, it can be daunting to select the right one. However, with careful consideration and a strategic approach, you can uncover a wealth of knowledge that will refine and enrich your teaching techniques. Your willingness to progress and learn will not only benefit you, but undoubtedly enrich the lives of your students as well.
Here are some tips and guidance on how teachers can choose the right professional development courses that fit their needs and interests:
- Identify your goals and interests: When embarking on professional development, it’s important to map out your personal goals and interests. Do you dream of becoming a master teacher in a specific subject? Would you like to sharpen your skills in engaging students? Or maybe you’re ready to take on a leadership role? Whatever your aspirations may be, having a clear target will help you find the right courses to support your growth.
- Look for reputable providers: Upskill with courses from top-tier providers. Elevate your knowledge with programs offered by prestigious universities, education associations, and government agencies. Vet your chosen provider through thorough research into their credentials, accreditation, and feedback from previous participants. Ensure that their courses will serve your goals with top-notch quality and relevance.
- Consider your learning style: Are you the type who thrives on getting expert insights from live group webinars? Or do you prefer to pace yourself and learn independently with self-paced modules? Whatever your preferred learning style is, finding a course that caters to your needs is an essential step towards reaching your full potential. Think about your learning style and identify your course preferences. That way, you can confidently choose a course that aligns with your unique preferences and helps you succeed.
- Check for cost and availability: It’s crucial to keep a watchful eye on cost and availability when searching for online courses. While some may be free of charge, some courses will necessitate spending some money for certification or access to premium material. Always keep your budget and timetable in mind when selecting a course.
- Network and collaborate: Professional development courses aren’t just about personal growth – they offer a chance to connect and collaborate with like-minded professionals in your field. From discussion forums to group projects, there are plenty of opportunities to network and learn from your peers. So don’t just sign up for a course, join a community and build your professional network!
Delve into the world of online learning with a dynamic video showcasing the top 5 online learning platforms of 2023. Discover innovative teaching methods and cutting-edge technology to enhance your curriculum and engage your students. Take control of your professional development and unlock endless possibilities with these game-changing platforms.
While our article already blew your mind with 21 free online professional development resources, let us tell you that the list doesn’t end here. If you’re an educator with an ever-growing hunger for more, you can dig deeper and explore a plethora of other services and resources that are bound to enhance your professional journey:
- NEA.org — Enrich your teaching career by connecting with other passionate educators through professional associations such as the National Education Association (NEA). These networks provide a wealth of resources that include attending conferences, accessing webinars, and participating in online forums. You’ll also have the opportunity to network with other like-minded professionals, as well as find mentors to guide you through your career.
- NBPTS.org— Empowerment and growth are the foundation of any successful career. In the teaching profession, mentorship programs and coaching have been proven to be highly effective in achieving these goals. These programs partner teachers with experienced mentors and coaches who provide guidance, feedback, support, and an opportunity for observation and reflection. Among the top mentorship programs and coaching services for teachers is the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, which offers an unparalleled level of expertise and resources.
- FreeTeacherPD.libsyn.com — If you’re looking to expand your knowledge, but don’t have the time for traditional learning methods, why not try out some teacher-focused podcasts? They can provide a great way of quickly and conveniently deepening your understanding. To help find yours’ perfect podcast match’, here’s the Free Teacher PD podcast.
As educators, we all strive to be the best teacher we can be for our students. However, finding the time and resources for professional development can be a challenge. Luckily, there are free online professional development for teachers available that can help educators improve their skills and advance their careers. With 21 courses to choose from and access to professional associations, mentorship programs, and development grants, the possibilities for growth are endless. Don’t let the fear of the unknown or lack of time hold you back from achieving your full potential as a teacher. Take the first step towards becoming a lifelong learner and giving your students the education they deserve.
- 18 Awesome Drawing Games for Kids — A Fun Way to Learn Art and Boost Creativity in 2023 - April 16, 2023
- Why Every School Needs a Restorative Justice Approach: 3 Examples and 7-Steps-Guide - April 15, 2023
- Maximize Learning with a School PA System — 4 Must-Haves and 5 Tips for Teachers - April 7, 2023