The Montessori method is a unique style of education developed by Maria Montessori. If you want to help children grow their independence and learn in their own ways, then this is the teaching style for you.
Unfortunately, in-person Montessori training may not be readily accessible. Instead of moving across the country or uprooting your life, you can pursue online Montessori instruction instead.
Through this article, you’ll learn about:
- 1. Prepared Montessorian Institute →
- 2. International Montessori Institute →
- 3. Authentic Institute of Montessori →
- 4. Train Montessori →
- 5. Montitute →
- 6. MKU Training Institute →
- 7. North American Montessori Center →
- 8. Udemy: Principles of the Montessori Method →
- How to select the program that’s right for you →
Montessori education isn’t your everyday approach to teaching. DigitalDefynd describes the Montessori method this way:
“Montessori lessons enable children to learn through making creative decisions and allow them to act independently.”
Even if you’ve earned a college degree in education, you might not know much about Montessori principles. Thankfully, online programs can prepare you for a successful career in education the Maria Montessori way. Read more about distance learning here.
This video gives more information about the value of pursuing Montessori teacher training online:
To help you find an effective online program, I’ve put together a list of some of my favorites. Take a look at these top eight online training options.
You can earn an accredited diploma through the Prepared Montessorian Institute (PMI).
Price: $5,000 to $7,000, depending on the age group you select
Duration: one to two years
- PMI offers an introductory course as well as age-based programs. You can focus on teaching toddlers, preschoolers, elementary students or adolescents.
- The programs have received approval from the Montessori Accreditation Council of Teacher Education (MACTE) — an impressive credential.
- PMI’s online trainings include video lessons, readings, homework assignments, live discussions and in-person intensives.
- Through them, you’ll learn how Montessori principles and philosophies should influence your classroom practices.
- The program also includes practice teaching in a local Montessori school.
Emily of Rhyme and Reason Academy shares, “I recommend it without reservation to anyone looking for high quality Montessori Training.”
The International Montessori Institute offers two English-language trainings. They are Montessori Assistant Training Course (Ages 0-6) and Montessori Teacher Training: 3-6 Years.
Price: approximately $1,076 for the assistant program and $4,998 for the teacher program
Duration: three months for the assistant program; two years for the teacher program
- One important facet of this training program is its emphasis on providing students with effective Montessori learning materials.
- In the teacher training course, you’ll receive a reproduction of Montessori’s S-IMI-L materials.Click here for additional resources for teaching materials.
- IMI’s teacher trainees gain a thorough understanding of Montessori principles and why they work — including the neuroscience behind them.
- Assistants focus on using Montessori methods and respecting the individuality of their students.
User Feedback: IMI has a rating of 3.5/5 on Educations.com.
AIM offers four different tracks for online Montessori training, including a MACTE-accredited option.
Price: $1,950 to $7,950, depending on the program
Duration: nine months to two years
- Several of AIM’s trainings are upgradeable. If you decide you want to continue learning, you may be able to upgrade your enrollment and work toward a more advanced certificate.
- You can learn about infants, preschoolers or early elementary students. The topics covered include child development, prepared environments and professional behavior.
- If you opt for one of the Career Pro tracks, you’ll also get to learn about classroom management techniques. Tap here to learn more about classroom management.
User Feedback: Reviewers on Facebook have given AIM an impressive 5-star rating!
What if there was a way to give your child access to the best education, be present as a parent, and have a fulfilling career?
Become a Montessori teacher and have it all.
— Authentic Institute of Montessori (@montessori_aim) December 6, 2022
Train Montessori focuses on educating professionals who teach adolescents. The organization’s AMI 12-18 Diploma Course combines virtual and in-person learning experiences.
Price: $7,000 to $14,000, depending on your ability to pay
Duration: 17 months
- Train Montessori uses teaching materials from the well-respected Association Montessori Internationale (AIM).
- During the program, you’ll complete a two-week residency in which you’ll live and learn in a Montessori-style prepared environment.
- Through online study and live weekly sessions, you’ll learn about Montessori principles and the planes of development.
- Additionally, you’ll complete a practice teaching session.
User Feedback: Train Montessori is listed as an official educator on the AIM website, so you can feel confident about choosing this group for your online teacher training.
Through Montitute, you can earn an early childhood diploma for teaching children ages 2.5 to 6. The organization plans to release courses for additional age levels soon.
Duration: 40 days per module; up to 12 months total
- Like many programs, this one includes a paper manual and video lessons.
- In addition, Montitute provides a learning app. With the app, you can watch videos and track your progress.
- The curriculum is divided into nine modules, one per manual. You’ll start by studying an overview of Montessori, exercises of practical life (EPL), and exercises of sensorial development.
- Also, the Montitute manuals and video will introduce you to Montessori methods for a variety of subject areas. They include language, geography, botany and history.
User Feedback: Reviewers on Facebook rate Montitute 4.1/5 stars.
One user, Jane Smith, says, “Everything about Montitute’s Montessori training program is excellent. Highly recommended.”
MKU offers a distance-learning program for early childhood educators. Options for infant/toddler teachers and homeschoolers are coming soon.
Duration: up to six months
- With MKU, you can start right away. There’s no need to join a cohort or wait for the next launch date.
- The organization is associated with Montessori Kids Universe schools. You may find that connection beneficial when looking for practical experiences or job opportunities.
- The MKU curriculum is divided into 13 modules. They include Policies and Procedures, The Prepared Environment, and Movement and Freedom and Discipline.
- The program includes training manuals and online components. There are written assignments, video conferences and exams.
MKU shares a review from Janice in Homewood, Alabama, who says, “This course was a fantastic online resource.”
NAMC has online teacher training programs available for four different levels. Whether you want to teach infants, preschoolers or elementary kids, there might be an option to suit your needs.
Price: $2,310 to $3,300, depending on the program
Duration: seven to nine months, depending on the program
- The NAMC training programs are offered entirely online. No residencies are required.
- Through the MyNAMC Learning Environment portal, you can manage your learning experience and track your progress.
- In this program, you will learn what it means to be a Montessori caregiver and educator. You’ll also learn how to speak with the children in your care and offer them learning experiences.
- The course materials include printable record-keeping sheets. You’ll learn how to take notes about students’ activities and progress, and you can keep using these resources long after completing the program.
Stacy Jones of Montessori for Today describes North American Montessori Center as “one of the most popular centers for learning through the Montessori education method.”
On the learning platform Udemy, you can sign up for a short course on Montessori teaching principles. At the end of the program, you’ll receive a certificate of completion.
Duration: 4.5+ hours
- This quick course of study is affordable enough that it’s not just for professional educators. Parents and grandparents, especially those who homeschool, can benefit from this online training.
- Through video instruction and reading, you will learn about the methods used in Montessori instruction and how Montessori professionals choose to speak to their students. Not only that, but it will also focus on how and why those methods work.
User Feedback: On Udemy, this course gets a rating of 4.6/5 stars, which earns it a “highest rated” badge from the site.
If it’s important to you to find the best online Montessori teacher training, you’ll want to choose carefully. All the above programs are great, but that doesn’t mean they’re all the right fit for everyone.
These tips will help you narrow down your options.
1. Look into the Learning Format
A program may include videos to watch or interactive sessions to participate in. You might go through at your own pace or move with a cohort.
In this video from Sunshine Teachers Training, a program director discusses one approach to online training:
2. Evaluate the Time Commitment
Some Montessori programs can be done in just a month or two. Others will take a few years. MACTE-accredited programs require significant time commitments. Make sure you can carve out several hours a week for study.
3. Check Out the Teachers
You’ll want to learn from experienced professionals with respected credentials. As AP Teacher Training Institute shares, it’s smart to “check their background, qualification, and experience.”
4. Consider the Cost
Price will probably be a factor in your course selection. If cost is really an issue, you can watch free online trainings. Here’s one example:
- 7 reasons why becoming a teacher might be right for you
- The Best Advice for New Teachers, in 5 Words or Less
- 10 Ways to Handle Stress As a Teacher
With the best online Montessori teacher training, you can discover how to effectively teach children the Maria Montessori way. Your training will demonstrate to schools that you’re a capable teacher who’s ready to work in children’s classrooms. Best of all, you can complete Montessori teacher training from the comfort of your own home.